SUMMER IS COMING! Are you prepared? No? Didn’t think so. Well, that’s why Mama D is here to help! These tips are my summer essentials, in no particular order.
1. As always DRINK WATER! I will be your mama chile, and tell you again and again and again. So deal. At least 32oz. Enough to pee clear. We’ve been over this, yes? Squeeze half a lemon in to your water bottle for extra refreshment and an alkalizing effect. Remember: An alkaline body = less breakouts. That’s a good thing, yep. Maybe add a dash of stevia? What the hell, spruce it up! And we all have our refillable non-plastic water bottles right? Yes? Okay good. The earth told me to tell you thanks.
2. SUNSCREEN, duuuhh you knew that was comin. Seriously though, I’m not saying you have to use it everyday, however daily use is sure fire age prevention. This goes out to all my ladies, of every color, because all complexions are susceptible to aging and skin cancer. It’s true! I read about it on the interwebs! If your going to be out in the sun for more than 30 minutes, slap it on!. Plus, how annoying is it when you get a tan, and then your foundation doesn’t match anymore?! Be sure to use at LEAST SPF 30, yes 30. That SPF 15 ain’t doing enough, and I don’t care if you don’t get as tan as you want, it’s not worth it! Now, my absolute favorite is Xtreme Cream SPF 45 by Epicurean Discovery, lightweight, non greasy, non drying. Too good to be true you say? Nope! I’ve tried many sunscreens over the years my friends, (because I look bad with a tan and I’ve accepted that I am a pale white girl) and this is the best. For daily use, Peter Thomas Roth makes a powder sunscreen that’s an all in one brush on. Available in SPF 30 or 45, tinted or non-tinted, $30.
3. USE A PARASOL, or wear a hat. I’m a fan of the parasol. I’m too vain for hats, they squish my hair down. Sweating + hathead = um, no. Could you be any cuter sporting a parasol in your lil sundress?! By golly gawsh I don thank so, that’s dern cute! If you have a Chinatown in your city, you can get a paper one and they usually don’t cost more than $15 at the most.
4. EAT HYDRATING FOODS. Such as, cucumber ( a very alkalizing and healing food and oh so yums to dip in hummus), celery ( alkalizing, mmm ants on a log with almond butter, drool) pretty much all fruits i.e., watermelon and melon in general, grapes, apples, pears, peaches, etc. (unless your skin is acne prone, in which case stick to veggies).
5. EMBRACE THE SHEEN, ditch the powder. Dewey skin = healthy looking skin! Because we tend to sweat more in the summer, powder can tend build up and to get funky. If you must use powder, blot first then powder. Kapish? Kapish. Use blotting papers instead, or like myself, use napkins or toilet paper, toilet seat covers (which are basically the same thing as blotting papers FYI), whatever. Absorbent paper is absorbent paper, and if it’s within reach blot away!
That’s all for now babes. Remember, take care of your body and your body will take care of you! Happiness is hot! ENORMOUS LOVE TO YOU -D